Binocular Vision Dysfunction
Binocular Vision Dysfunction is a generic term for any condition in which the patient is unable to target the two eyes accurately at any distance or at any time. Some of the most common binocular disorders are:
- Convergence insufficiency
- Reduced tendency to converge eyes when looking at near
- Convergence excess
- Excessive tendency to converge eyes when looking at near
- Accommodative insufficiency
- Reduced tendency to focus eyes when looking at near
- Accommodative excess
- Excessive tendency to focus eyes when looking at near
- Visual posture of the two eyes far enough out of alignment that visual fusion does not take place
- Structurally normal eye that loses the ability to see clearly
A patient who recently developed binocular vision dysfunction tends to be very symptomatic and uncomfortable. Patients with long-term binocular dysfunction often have no symptoms or awareness of double vision because they have adapted compensation.
Ben’s mother wrote the following report to us:
"Ben began vision therapy in 4th grade. Although Ben enjoyed being read to – he said he “hated” reading. He was obviously uncomfortable while reading – he fidgeted & squirmed, rubbed his eyes, his eyes watered & he began complaining of headaches.
I was concerned that his trouble /dislike of reading was going to affect his academic success. Although we attend an alternative/”hands-on” school, by 4th grade the children were expected to read direction, enjoy novels & research projects. I wanted him to enjoy reading.
After 6 months of vision therapy Ben’s enjoyment of and confidence in, reading improved significantly. He jumped from a 2nd grade level to a 7th grade level. When Ben heard the results he said, "I think I can go to college now…" I had no idea he had even doubted his ability. Ben now loves to read and is confident at school."
(Ben’s Mom April 4, 2010)
Contact the office of
Colin J. Kageyama, O.D., FCOVD
and Kelly H. Kageyama, O.D., FCOVD at
Conveniently located in Campbell and Los Altos, California
Minutes away from San Jose, Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, and Saratoga
Our new branch office opened in 2020 and is located in Saratoga!